Sunday, March 30, 2014

Unintentional Rest Day: Wellington to Picton

Today was going to involve 35km of biking (not including the pedaling I did to get to the Wellington ferry terminal from Julie and Thomas' house). The plan was to get off the ferry in Picton around 5pm and bike to the fishing village of Havelock. Or at least start out and find somewhere to camp along the way. 

Well, that didn't happen. For one, the ferry arrived late. Secondly, there was a sign along the road from Picton stating "No Camping - Next 33 km", even though my guidebook listed a place about 10km out of town. And thirdly, there were two long hills to climb on the way out. I got to the top of the second one before I conceded that I wouldn't make it to Havelock, so I should turn back and camp at Picton. Which is what I did. 

Bonuses of turning back: I got to coast down the giant hill that I had just climbed. I got to see downtown Picton again. And I had time to snap a few pics. 






The ferry ride itself was ok. There are two different companies that operate passenger ferries on the Cook Straight. Since I'd taken the Interislander with my sister before, I decided to take the other one, Bluebridge. They had free wifi so I spent most of the ride on the internet. But I did manage to snap a few photos. 





So really, today was a rest day, with the exception of a bit of mountain biking I did with Thomas after breakfast before I left for the ferry. I took Julie's bike out and Thomas coached me (I'd never mountain biked before). He had wanted to go the night before at 10pm but I'm glad I waited until daylight for my first experience. It was scary enough without the darkness! I'm glad I tried it though - even though I fell over. 

Camping in Picton is overpriced. I am paying $20 for a tent site! But after staying with WS hosts for the last several nights, I suppose I am very spoiled. Time to see if the weather is warm enough for tenting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home