Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Day 28: Alfredton to Masterton

March 25th 2014
Distance cycled: 47 km
Total distance to date: 1567 km

Ok, so today was gonna be a big day. 95km! I got up, made my oatmeal, packed and left camp by 9:30am. Good! Then I rode 47km through scenic farmland along country backroads to Masterton. Awesome! I was there by 12:30pm. I called the Warm Showers host who I had meant to stay with the night before but hadn't made it in time. Wanted to see if I could at least meet him for lunch.

George invited me over for lunch, fed me, gave me coffee and a wifi password, showed me the double bed and bathroom which would be mine if I chose to stay, told me of a dinner his friends were throwing that I was welcome to join that evening, then left for the afternoon to do some work in Wellington. 

Well, you can guess what happened. 

So yeah. I took the afternoon off and relaxed at George's house. We ate dinner at Jan and John's house, a wonderful meal with wonderful company. I am full of lamb and roasted potatoes and spoiled to be inside while a storm rages on outside, glad to have a bed instead of having to be in a tent. Life is too good sometimes!!!

One side note to fans of Flight of the Conchords: Jemaine Clement grew up in this very town. One of my fellow dinner guests had even gone to school with him. Crazy! I got very excited about this. Perhaps a little too excited. People ask me "Why New Zealand?" and I have a lot of answers to that but I'm usually too embarrassed to admit that FOTC is one of them. 

Tomorrow I'll probably stay in Martinborough (only 50km away) with the retired symphony members and then see what my hosts in Wellington are like. It'll be a slow roll into town. Taking my sweet time. 



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home